EXUDING DARK PASSION
In 1650, as Oliver Cromwell’s forces marched toward Edinburgh, the 10th Lord Borthwick was instructed to leave his Castle. When he refused, Cromwell unleashed his cannon causing considerable damage to the East wall.
Luckily for us, Borthwick agreed to leave and the Castle was damaged no further but left empty for nearly 250 years. J Borthwick of Crookston bought the castle in 1810 but it was nearly another 100 years before it was brought back into use by Henry Borthwick.
Beneath the Great Hall, down a quiet winding staircase, lies the very sensual Oliver Cromwell bedchamber - with its charcoal walls and soft lighting exuding the dark passion of its namesake.
The chamber features the exact copy of Cromwell’s bed, including his coat of arms,
The free standing bath and wash basin are in the room facing the bed. A massive stone fireplace, and imposing chandelier and cowhides bring
BORTHWICK CASTLE, NORTH MIDDLETON, EH23 4QY. +44 (0) 1875 820514. CONTACT
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR EMAIL NEWSLETTER